Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Random Thoughts

Random Thought #1:

So I decided that I should finish my master's degree. Tonight was the first class of my second to last course...still with me? I am currently questioning many aspects of this program. My first clue, I suppose, was when the professor came in and announced that she would not be giving us a syllabus. Instead, she proclaimed, she would be giving us a list of what she would like to cover; however, this list is not what we will actually be covering. I left class not knowing what we are actually going to be doing. I am fairly certain and I am supposed to go back though.

Random Thought #2:

By day I fight the illiterate and generally unenlightened as the unmasked avenger of all things literature and elements of reading. I am blessed with a large group of unruly, pubescent, and often smelly teenagers. I am a ninth grade English teacher. Through this vocation I have been witness to many mishaps, embarrassing moments, life changing events, and so so so much more. One of my favorite moments happened when a class was reading "The Most Dangerous Game." This short story centers around hunting big game. When we were discussing what big game actually is, one student asked if people ever actually ate elephants. In an attempt to express her profound knowledge another student shouted, "DUH! Elephant ears!" I had to explain to her, ever so gently, that elephant ears are not in fact made from actual elephants. I am sure this will remain a source of shame for her for many years.

Random Thought #3:

Right now I am taking a break from creating an informative packet for my students. When I make these packets I spend several grueling hours trying to come up with the most effective format and the easiest to understand directions. I am usually disappointed when, after handing out said packets, students respond with what seems like five trillion questions. I am always so discouraged because when I am making these packets I am certain that this will be The One. This packet of information will be the most informative and the easiest to understand. While I know I am only leading myself on, I am going to continue with this pipe dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...